Last year, I made at least 2 posts on Land Banking and its so-called "dangers" in this investment. My previous posts are Land Banking - Read This First and 3 Land Investment Companies in Malaysia Raided.
Despite many independent reports by free press in countries practising freedom of media (excluding Singapore) on such investment product, many are still going for Land Banking without doing their homework. I am here to say SOME and NOT all lands are not worth investing, so please do not prosecute me and put me behind bars.
Today, I saw TV adverts on land banking on today's news. I hope investors interested in Land Banking to do their due homework, making sure the plot of land they are investing in will really one day have buildings on, and investors to be familiar with local property tax laws and regulations.
An article published on February 2009 on Guardian.co.uk mentioned the perils of Land Banking.
Don't bank on this land for making a profit
"A company called Profitable Group is offering UK land for sale here in Singapore on TV adverts. The deal is that you buy land without planning permission - they are selling this in Colchester and Hounslow - and wait a little while until its gets the local authority go-ahead when it will become very valuable. As it is very hard to find out information here, can you tell me what you know about Profitable?"
This is landbanking - a get-rich-quick scheme that has never delivered except for the promoters, who can multiply their investment in land many times over - £10,000 an acre agricultural land is sold for £100,000 by landbankers.
Profitable's Colchester land is protected by a covenant preventing resale at a profit, so planning gains would be difficult - and currently house demand is so low that builders have an over-supply of both homes and land.
Profitable also claims interests in sport and recruitment. Former Scottish footballer Kenny Dalglish is listed as an executive on its sporting side.
The main board of this Singapore-based company also includes Tim Goldring, John Nordmann, James Hodgson and Nigel Blanchard, who were also directors of UK-based Profitable Plot Company. This went into liquidation last year after failing to produce accounts and, after three years of landbanking, sales in the UK did not produce the big gains promised.
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- Stressful but am looking for joy in it
- My Product Review on CIMB StarSaver Account
- To recommend a stock for others is HARD++
- S'pore firm sells all-terrain vehicle to UK for Af...
- Paper Cranes Productions Wedding Showcase 2008
- Dirpy - Convert YouTube videos into MP3 for listen...
- My answer to an interesting quote
- Taylor Swift -- Love Story
- Ayutthaya Itinerary
- Translator for Libyan leader Colonel Moamer Kadhaf...
- 林峯 + 泳兒 -- 明天以后
- 2009 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix Saturd...
- Pondering over a change in environment
- Singaporean wages decreased for the past 3 years, ...
- Beethoven Symphony No.9
- Free Coke Promotion @ Bugis Junction’s McDonalds
- Working time needed to buy a Big Mac
- Experts-Exchange Beta has got blogging feature
- Pre Wedding Film "IMAGINE"
- Flight Trial Celebration at Brotzeit German Bier B...
- Miss Singapore World 2009 Ris Low was charged due ...
- Miniatur Wunderland - Largest model railway / rail...
- The Wonders of Technology - Windows Live Messenger...
- Spent 2 hours planning Bangkok and Ayutthaya trip ...
- Anything can happen will happen
- HP Abandons EDS Brand
- THIS IS FUN!
- Manga artist Yoshito Usui, author of Crayon Shin-c...
- A mysterious series for H.G. Wells
- Warren Buffett, the missing voicemail and the spec...
- To-Do List for long weekend
- Kent Ridge Ministerial Forum 2009
- Market Outlook: Bulls for the past week and the we...
- Requalified for FREE Premium Services from Experts...
- Malaysia trying to claim chilli crab and hainanese...
- Realistic World = The Matrix
- Mythbusting: Frequent Rebalancing improves portfol...
- YouTube Resume from where you left off
- Best Global Brands List 2009
- Google Book Downloader Downloads Books to PDF
- Office Web Applications First Look
- Land Banking investors in Singapore described as N...
- Shares of suitmaker, Dalian Dayang Trands Co, soar...
- Increased holdings on ST Engineering yet again
- The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans
- Marco Polo Marine shares surge too good to be true...
- What is Cognitive Dissonance Theory
- What is Disconfirmation Theory
- Haze Outlook
- Case on Land Banking is now REAL
- 黎明 -- 堆積情感
- Hide your Windows from bosses
- Too auntie behaviour?
- George Yeo on New Media to Build Trust
- My Destiny
- Singapore PSI hits 64 today at 4pm
- Windows 7 Professional-English (32 bit and 64bit) ...
- I am worth S$700,000
- Sitting on comfortable profits on recent stocks fo...
- PM Lee says the interest of citizens will always c...
- Just how difficult it was to cancel an AOL account...
- I am insured the most next week
- Knocking senses into UEFA with "financial fair pla...
- History of the PDA
- Google Fast Flip - News Scanning Tech
- Totally drained (Battery flat)
- Investing for the long term in high dividend yield...
- Fed up with Challenger VERY poor service
- MediShield should cover congenital illnesses
- Removing Splinters using bananas
- Weekly Address: Losing Insurance Can Happen to Any...
- UOB Life Assurance up for sale?
- Rich son poor son
- World turns disapproving eyes on Singapore banquet...
- Do not show your iPhone to Microsoft CEO Ballmer
- Finally people are more understanding
- Facebook Lite: Lighter version of Facebook
- Interesting Warren Buffett Quote on Diversificatio...
- Efficient PDA user once again
- Colleague selling his car for a very unique reason...
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony 40 in G min KV ...
- China-made Losang-branded laptops at COMEX 2009 co...
- Flight confirmed
- Geronimo Stilton - Best-selling children's book se...
- Free laptop for doing freelance
- Embeddable Google Document Viewer
- Google Maps and Hasbro launches Monopoly City Stre...
- Kennedy’s Letter to Obama
- Startup Invents Anti-Theft Tag for Smartphones
- What is "Economic Rent"?
- Memory Lane on Presbyterian High School by a frien...
- MAS responds to feedback on sale of unlisted inves...
- MAS bans use of "Capital Protected"
- Why is price of Gold rising?
- Survived meeting marathon but was left dehydrated
- More Singapore big names firms sold to foreign inv...
- Kraft Foods takeover Cadbury speculation
- Yet another post on Land Banking
- "Google" = "Gogle": Google's unexplained phenomeno...
- Wait and see strategy for September
- 范瑋琪 --- 可不可以不勇敢
- Back to old ways again: Wall Street Pursues Profit...
- More credit card safeguards
- Why some insurance participating policies have poo...
- Understanding CPF Life
- Government telling us to have positive thinking fo...
- Weekly Address: Labor Day and Fair Rewards for Har...
- 21% death claims rejected by California's largest ...
- Does God Exist?
- Finally sold off my last stock that does not align...
- 4 new Gmail themes released
- Lee Kuan Yew - The Founding Father of Singapore
- 張學友 --- 遙遠的她
- Miss Singapore World 2009 Ris Low is a Disgrace
- Reply by MAS on Petition to Prime Minister for gen...
- Pork in Singapore is safe to eat
- Reason for no insurance coverage for flying
- Lim Swee Say and his rhetoric again
- Love Is the Greatest
- Koh Brothers business model fundamentally strong
- Faster free Wireless@SG service
- WPA-Secured Wi-Fi Hacked in 60 Seconds
- Microsoft, Yahoo and Wolfram Alpha team up to comp...
- Big project starts today
- ▼ September (125)
- ► 2008 (838)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)