I am writing for justifications on how SMRT calculates train fares. Personally, I am puzzled on what formula SMRT uses because I am not able to accept how SMRT charges commuters. In the below examples, I shall assume adult fare price using ezLink card.
Scenario 1 : MRT to MRT
Journey 1 : Ang Mo Kio - Buona Vista
Using route Ang Mo Kio -> Jurong East -> Buona Vista, there are a total of 16 stops.
Using route Ang Mo Kio -> Raffles Place -> Buona Vista, there are a total of 17 stops.
Summary: 16/17 stops = $1.44
Journey 2 : Ang Mo Kio - Admiralty
Using the only one possible route Ang Mo Kio -> Admiralty, there are a total of 5 stops.
Summary: 5 stops = $1.33
Journey 3 : Admiralty - Buona Vista
Using route Admiralty -> Jurong East -> Buona Vista, there are a total of 11 stops.
Using route Admiralty -> Raffles Place -> Buona Vista, there are a total of 22 stops.
Summary: 11/22 stops = $1.55
1. Why Journey 2 of only 5 stops cost almost the same as Journey 1 of 16/17 stops?
2. Why Journey 3 of 11/22 stops cost the most? Is SMRT fare formula using 11 or 22 stops for this case?
Scenario 2 : MRT to LRT
Journey 1 : Choa Chu Kang - South View
Using the only one possible route Choa Chu Kang - South View, there are only 1 stop.
Summary: 1 stop = $0.66
Journey 2 : Bukit Gombak - South View
Using the only one possible route Bukit Gombak - South View, there are a total of 2 stops.
Summary: 2 stops = $1.19
Journey 3 : Bukit Batok - South View
Using the only one possible route Bukit Batok - South View, there are a total of 3 stops.
Summary: 3 stops = $1.19
1. Why the more than 80% jump in cost between Journey 1 and Journey 2 given only 1 stop difference?
2. Why Journey 2 and Journey 3 are of the same cost despite Journey 3 has got an extra stop? How do you explain this inconsistency in SMRT fare calculation?
I seek a detailed explanation and fare guidelines on how SMRT does its calculation. I can be contacted at XXXXXXXX or by this email XXX@XXX.XXX
Loh Hon Chun
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- Market Roundup 26-30 May 08
- Creating Contact Us Form Using Google Docs
- The Internet is Killing You - Making Us Narrow Min...
- What is pwdump?
- Equitable Life VS NTUC Income
- Ophcrack - Crack Windows Password Easily
- Google Earth Goes Browser
- Find Out What Fonts An Image Is Using
- Adobe Flash Player Prone to Remote Code-Execution ...
- Vietnam - Heading for Currency Crisis?
- IE7Pro - The Ultimate Add-On for Internet Explorer...
- Collective Protest on NTUC Income Recent Bonus Cut...
- Tiger Airways to charge for all checked-in baggage...
- Last Thing You Don't Wish On Space - Toilet Malfun...
- Google Code AJAX Libraries - Hosting Most Popular ...
- Windows 7.0 to be Launched in Jan 2010
- Facebook to Open Source Facebook Platform for Open...
- How to Protect a Stolen Mobile Phone
- George Soros Says Rocketing Oil Prices is a Bubble...
- The Great Singapore Sale 2008 (23 May - 20 July)
- SMRT Train Fare Structure - Leaves Me Puzzled
- Photos of Mount Kota Kinabalu Trip
- Unit Testing Transact-SQL Code
- TinEye - Image Search Engine
- ICJ Awards Pedra Branca Sovereignty to Singapore
- Singapore Inflation at 7.5% for April 2008
- OCBC and StandChart Emerge Winners to Take Care of...
- The DBA Daily Checklist
- Back from Mount Kota Kinabalu Trip
- Away from 15-19 May to Mount Kota Kinabalu
- Poor Service Encountered at Army Market
- At Johor Bahru City Square McDonalds
- Standalone Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Image f...
- Is NTUC Income Spending $2,000 Per Chair True?
- Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Limited Buy ST Engi...
- Puppy Linux - OS for Flash Drive at Less Than 100M...
- Is NTUC Income Spending Millions Extravagantly?
- Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Available for Down...
- Deepest Condolences to Victims Affected by Myanmar...
- Collective Protest Against NTUC Income Recent Arbi...
- Microsoft Withdraws Proposal to Acquire Yahoo!
- The ABCs of Securing Your Wireless Network
- Are Singaporeans Taking Public or Private Transpor...
- AVG 8.0 Free Version Out for Download
- Raffles Place Ghost Turns Out to be a Hoax
- Labour Day - An Opportunity to Express Themselves
- Labor Day in US - First Monday of September
- Singapore's GIC may invest in more banks
- ▼ May (48)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)