On 25 May 2008, I sent an email to SMRT for justifications on how train fares are calculated. After a long one week on 31 May 2008, A senior officer for Customer Relations from SMRT finally replied and promised to revert for a detailed answer to my question. I waited a further 9 more days but none replied until I sent the below email.
"I think it is getting far too long for a reply. This is certainly not up to standard and is not acceptable.
I DEMAND SMRT to contact me directly via handphone at XXXXXXXX"
The very next morning, the same senior officer called and promised to reply me with a detailed answer to my question. She said my case was never forgotten but I doubt so. Without my email, I bet my case would have been forgotten.
The below was sent by the SMRT's senior officer for Customer Relations on how train fares are being calculated:
We wish to clarify that MRT adult ez-link fares are based on distance travelled and LRT adult ez-link fares are based on the number of stations travelled.
The adult ez-link fare payable for traveling from A to B within the MRT network is pegged to the distance of the route that gives the shortest journey time (inclusive of transfer times at interchange stations and factors for inconvenience of transfer) between A and B.
The adult ez-link fare payable for a commuter traveling from C to D within the LRT network is pegged to the fewest number of stations for all possible routes between C and D.
The adult ez-link fare payable for a commuter transferring from MRT to LRT and vice versa is a simple aggregate of the MRT adult ez-link fare and the LRT adult ez-link fare, less any transfer rebate (subject to certain conditions which is detailed in http://www.transitlink.com.sg/). This concept is similar to commuters transferring from MRT to bus and vice versa.
As for the breakdown of the MRT and LRT adult ez-link fare structures, please refer to http://www.ptc.gov.sg/statistics_max.asp or http://www.transitlink.com.sg/
Based on the MRT adult ez-link fare structure, the fare charge for Scenario 1 as described is as follows:
In your case, if you are traveling from Ang Mo Kio to Buona Vista, he can shorten traveling time by boarding the southbound train and transferring via Raffles Place instead of boarding the northbound train and transferring via Jurong East. For the estimated journey time, please refer to http://www.transitlink.com.sg/images/eguide/MRT_Journey_Time.jpg or the published TransitLink guide.
For Scenario 2 as described, Journey 1 is an intra-LRT trip ie it is within the LRT network whereas Journeys 2 and 3 are transfer trips from MRT to LRT. As mentioned above, the adult ez-link fare payable for a commuter transferring from MRT to LRT and vice versa is a simple aggregate of the MRT adult ez-link fare and the LRT adult ez-link fare, less any transfer rebate. Based on the MRT and LRT adult ez-link fare structures, Scenario 2 is as follows:
We hope the above information is helpful and thank you for writing to us.
SMRT Train Fare Structure - Leaves Me Puzzled
SMRT Finally Replied After 6 Days
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- Speech by Mr Tharman at ABS AGM 2008
- Is US Retirement Savings Playing a Part in Driving...
- Starhub Network Signal Reception Puzzling
- Looks Like Some Nice Astronomical Sightings for En...
- Safer Authentication with a One-Time Password Solu...
- CLR Inside Out - Large Object Heap Uncovered
- Test Your Web Design in Different Browsers
- Tools And Techniques to Identify Concurrency Issue...
- Bill Gates bids a teary farewell to Microsoft
- Windows Messenger MSN - The .info Scam
- CASE Says Most Cooked Food Costs $2.50 and Below P...
- How to Redeem POSB Everyday Card Dollars?
- Many Ministers Becoming Millionaires
- Mediacorp Radio Yes 93.3 Running On Vignette Porta...
- Crude Oil Rose US$4 in 10 Minutes
- BBC News: 10 Tips to Relieve Insomnia
- Adobe Releases Acrobat 9 with Portfolios, Sharing,...
- Nokia to Open Source Symbian a Threat to Microsoft...
- Minimize Blocking in SQL Server
- SQL Server 2008 New Data Types
- China's Shaolin Temple Launches Online Store
- Google Gmail Sending Limit
- The Bill Gates Exit Interview
- WTS Sony Ecrisson G900 Mobile [ SOLD ]
- Quick And Easy Method to Remove Formatting When Yo...
- Singapore CPI Up 7.5% in May 2008
- Singapore Ranked 2nd in Enabling Trade Index 2008
- I am a Hubber
- Lander Finds Ice on Mars Or Is It Just Salt?
- Verdict On Service Level of the 3 Telcos
- Why is Oil So High?
- Make SQL Server 2008 New Date Data Types Work on ....
- Firefox 3.0 Hit By The First Bug
- Turn RSS Feeds into PDF Files for Your PDA
- 蘇打綠 (Soda Green) - 這天
- 蘇打綠 (Soda Green) - 無與倫比的美麗
- 蘇打綠 (Soda Green) - 小情歌
- Yahoo! Mail Adds 2 New Domains
- Please Ignore Fast Cash Ads on Bus Stops
- Running Mozilla Firefox on Thumb Drive
- Watch Firefox 3.0 in Action
- Petronas Bosses Accused of "Living Like Kings"
- Firefox Website Down
- Firefox 3.0 to Launch on 17 Jun 17:00 UTC (10am PD...
- The History of Firefox 1.0 to 3.0 in Screenshots
- E-mail etiquette for wireless devices
- Suggestions to 3 Singapore Telcos
- UOB NOW Card Without NETS Capability
- ERP Rates Revised North Again
- CPF Minimum Sum Up to S$106,000
- Singapore Economic Data Looks Discouraging
- Speed Testing the Latest Web Browsers
- Opera 9.5 to Run on Thumb Drive
- Google + Yahoo
- Same Sex Marriages to Boost California's Economy
- Another Protest Due to High Fuel Prices
- Berners-Lee Says Future of Web is a Semantic One
- Our Bus Drivers Need Protection Against Unreasonab...
- Google Co-Founder, Sergy Brin, Books Space Flight
- Firefox 3 to Launch on 17th June
- Asia IT Salary Benchmarks
- Software Development is Research
- Is Google Making Us Stupid?
- The Role of a Financial Adviser on Your Investment...
- Credit Suisse says inflation for May or June may h...
- Can You Read This - Text Jumble
- How SMRT Train Fares Are Calculated
- Google Makes RSS Embedding Easy
- Peak oil Implications For Actuaries
- Watched Kung Fu Panda
- Why Software is Complex
- Asia's best managed companies: Singapore
- Is SQL Server 2005 Integration With .NET CLR Usefu...
- Google Launches Gmail Labs
- Five Best Antivirus Applications
- Hong Kong is Most Dangerous Domains to Surf
- ST Electronics - First $1 Billion ICT Company in S...
- Malaysia Raises Petrol Prices by 40%
- Caught in SMRT Train
- Microsoft Extends XP Deadline
- Adobe and Their Own Online Office
- Google Finance Showing Live Stock Prices
- Is HyperWebEnable.com a Scam?
- Strength of ST Engineering
- Is Singapore Soccer Team Worthy of a World Cup Pla...
- Teen Crowned Thailand's Most Beautiful Transvestit...
- NTUC Income Reasons Behind Bonus Restructure
- SMRT Finally Replied After 6 Days
- ▼ June (89)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)