For a pictorial view of the newly drawn Singapore Parliamentary Electoral Map 2011, please refer to this link.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has accepted the recommendations of the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee.
The details were released on Thursday by Parliament, and is the first step and a clear sign, that Singaporeans will be headed for the polls soon.
Going by past elections, from the release of the Boundaries report - which spells out changes to constituencies - to polling day, it can take anywhere between 17 days and nearly six months.
Political parties usually map out their election strategies after the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee report is released.
That's because, the report recommends the size and the geographical boundaries of each constituency, which will affect the activities of parties trying to woo voters.
The committee recommended changes after looking at voter population growth.
This time, the committee was tasked to create a minimum of 12 single member wards, more smaller Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) which put four to six candidates together on one slate.
It was also tasked to create fewer large six-member GRCs.
Smaller GRCs and more single member wards reduce the perceived hurdles the opposition face, in getting into Parliament.
There will now be 12 single member wards up from nine.
There are eight new ones including Whampoa, Yuhua, Mountbatten and Radin Mas.
The rest are: Hong Kah North, Pioneer, Punggol East and Sengkang West.
Some of these Single Member Constituencies (SMCs) were carved out from bigger GRCs. Two existing oppositions wards of Potong Pasir and Hougang remain.
The large six-man GRCs have been reduced significantly to just two from five.
The two remaining are the Prime Minister's GRC of Ang Mo Kio and Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean's GRC of Pasir Ris-Punggol.
Pasir Ris-Punggol has 204,845 voters while Ang Mo Kio has 171,080.
Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's ward of Tanjong Pagar and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's ward of Marine Parade have become five-member wards.
Sembawang GRC has also become a five-man GRC from six, while a new five-member GRC called Nee Soon, was carved out from two SMCs.
In total, there will be 11 five-member GRCs.
More than 2.35 million Singaporeans have registered to vote ahead of the next General Election.
The Electoral Boundaries Review Committee said it worked on a range of 20,000 to 36,000 electors per MP.
With the changes, the total number of MPs will be 87 - slightly more than the current 84.
Before the general election can be called, Parliament has to be dissolved and the writ of election issued.
But the budget debate begins on Monday and is expected to last for at least two weeks.
Parliament could be dissolved after that, and pundits and politicians have predicted that the polls could take place in May.
GE: Counting down to the General Election [via]
- ► 2012 (318)
- Hutchison Whampo Port Trust indicative price
- Cornerstone investors for Hutchison Whampoa Ports ...
- Hutchison ports unit set for $7.41b IPO, SE Asia’s...
- Gmail bug wiped out 150,000 or 0.08 percent Gmail ...
- McDonalds 1-for-1 on Mar 1
- Excerpts from Warren Buffett's Berkshire annual le...
- Beijing Jasmine Protest
- What is "Gerrymandering"?
- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao pledged to control infl...
- ASP.NET - ColumnSpan Attribute of Footer Row in Gr...
- Finally cleared all my readings
- Amazon Kindle: New Features Available for Your Kin...
- New words in Oxford Dictionaries Online. Woot!
- The plight of local Singaporean professors
- Google Chrome Tips
- How to extend Microsoft Word 2010 trial period?
- What "Do Not Track" Is and Why It’s Important
- Arab unrest: 5 eyewitnesses to history
- Motorola sued for using Xoom
- HTC Sued Over ChaCha 'Facebook Phone'
- Gmail improves Labels - Allow hiding from Subject
- Google filter away low quality search resuts
- Angry Birds coming soon to Windows Phone 7
- Visualizing Google Android Activations
- How to assign a photo to be used as a thumbnail fo...
- Facebook chat in Hotmail is rolled out to all
- Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft Office
- Singapore Facebook Statistics
- GE: SDP's campaign to leverage on Internet
- Map of Electoral Divisions
- Singapore General Election - Voters Distribution
- GE: Reform Party to contest 2 GRCs, 3 SMCs
- Mrs Lina Chiam, wife of Chiam See Tong, to stand f...
- GE: SDA eyes Punggol East, Radin Mas, Mountbatten ...
- Singapore Parliamentary Electoral Map 2011
- Dr Gene Sharp - The man who wrote the revolution r...
- Amazon Kindle commercial
- Singapore Borders Massive Clearance Sale
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is now available
- Oil prices surge 7% on Libya unrest spiking as hig...
- No time to blog
- Benjamin Graham: The Godfather of Value Investing'...
- Google VS Facebook
- Warren Buffett Speaks Out About the Financial Cris...
- Google Docs Viewer supports even more file types
- Movie Studio to arrive on Google Android Honeycomb...
- Chrome extension to filter spam domains from Searc...
- UberTwitter, Twidroyd, UberCurrent apps blocked
- Budget 2011 - Information
- Learn the basics of Photoshop
- iPhone 5.0?
- Androidify to be Androidified!
- How does eCPM (Effective Cost Per Thousand Impress...
- Budget 2011: Ministers happy
- Budget 2011: Majority not happy
- How to get rid of Facebook pop out Photo Viewer?
- Buffett gets Medal of Freedom
- Singapore Polytechnic Food Court 6 - Just refurbis...
- Microsoft Finally Turns Off AutoRun in Latest Wind...
- Basics of Photoshop: Basic Drawing with the Pen To...
- Sony PS3 Jailbreak Code
- Shazam vs. SoundHound: Battle of the Mobile Song I...
- Is Jetstar Asia a majority Singaporean owned flag ...
- How to Jailbreak Your iOS 4.2.1 Device
- Nokia announced partnership with Microsoft, phasin...
- Thai airline P.C. Air employed transsexual flight ...
- Google adds 2-step verification advanced sign-in s...
- The Hongjun Daily
- Google's Interactive Doodle for Jules Verne's Birt...
- S.H.E 我愛你(劇情完整版) MV - HQ
- Unseen video footage from Egypt
- Dr Mahathir V.S. MM Lee Kwan Yew
- Across the World with the Singapore Girl
- Never Chicken Out (How to deal with ... ) Videos
- Borders may file for bankruptcy protection in Febr...
- Treasury passed China as currency manipulator but ...
- IKEA stores are designed like a MAZE
- Dalai Lama: Fruit for thought
- Egyptian protesters blew up gas pipeline to Israel...
- Checklist for the financially sound
- CloudMagic - Add search as-you-type on Gmail, Goog...
- Stephen Colbert poked fun on Google and Bing copyi...
- Motorola Android Software Upgrade Schedule
- Jess Lee Kar Wei (李佳薇) won Superstar Avenue (超級星光大...
- 超級星光大道 20110130 李佳薇 - 回家
- Google Chrome 9.0 - Several new features
- Mona Lisa identity debate again
- Official Blogger Android app
- Microsoft Bing's reply on Google's claim of possib...
- Hotmail new alias feature allows you to use multip...
- Internet officially runs out of IP Addresses
- Conclude just don't like CNY
- Starhub: Lunar New Year All Channels FREE Access ...
- Five Ways the Android-Powered Google Tablet Is Bet...
- The Five Best New Features in the Android Market a...
- Google unveiled the new Android market for the Web...
- Growing but Ageing Muslim Demographics
- Google Chrome passes 10% browser market share; Int...
- Egypt Mubarak's foes, supporters clash in Cairo
- Is Microsoft Bing copying Google search results?
- How to add Facebook Like button on Blogger Blogspo...
- Microsoft Warns of Windows Script Injection Hole (...
- Introducing Facebook Deals
- ▼ February (105)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- ► 2008 (838)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)