WRITTEN BY THOMSON REUTERS
MONDAY, 28 FEBRUARY 2011 19:14
Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka-shing’s ports unit is looking to raise as much as $5.8 billion in its Singapore IPO, seeking to cash in on a recovery in global trade and provide investors with access to China’s booming infrastructure business.
The listing, Southeast Asia’s biggest ever, comes at a time when sea-borne trade in Asia is swelling and global container shipping firms are putting more ships and resources to serve Asian routes from Europe and North America.
The capital-raising could provide additional ammunition for Li, Asia’s richest man, who is looking to make a big play on UK power assets through his Cheung Kong Infrastructure (CKI) (1038.HK) unit.
The deal has attracted big names including Singapore state investor Temasek Holdings (TEM.UL), U.S. hedge fund manager Paulson & Co and Cathay Life Insurance, who will be putting in US$1.6 billion as Co as cornerstone investors, according to the preliminary prospectus.
The assets of the Hutchison’s subsidiary, Hutchison Port Holdings Trust, are located in Hong Kong and Shenzhen, two of the world’s busiest container ports in 2009 with a total throughput of 39.2 million twenty-foot equivalent units, the prospectus showed.
It would be the first publicly traded business trust backed by port assets,according to the prospectus, and would exceed Malaysia’s Petronas Chemicals’ (PCGB.KL) US$4.1 billion listing of 2010, which has so far been the biggest listing in the region.
“Given the size of HPH Trust, we expect the proposed IPO to attract significant investor interest,” said Sean Quek, Singapore head of research at Credit Suisse.
“In addition to the potential direct impact on trading volume, the IPO could also set the path for business trusts and port-related companies’ listings here.”
YIELD VS REITS
Hutchison Whampoa (0013.HK), the world’s largest container terminal operator, is spinning off Hutchison Port Holdings Trust in a separate listing in Singapore to take advantage of regulations that are favourable for trust-like companies.
With operations in 53 countries and approximately 220,000 employees worldwide, Hutchison has five core businesses -- ports and related services; property and hotels; retail; energy, infrastructure, investments and others; and telecommunications.
The company chose Singapore over Hong Kong because the city-state has been an attractive destination for infrastructure and real estate trusts, bankers said.
“It will be interesting to see how Hutch puts the money to work – does it repay debt, does it acquire utility businesses at reasonable valuations or does it venture into something as risky and expensive as 3G?," said Jacob Samuel, credit analyst at Nomura.
The yield from the offering of between 5.5% to 6.5% to unit holders, is lower compared to an average of around 7% offered by Singapore-listed business and property trusts.
“It is not attractive at this price range,” said William Lo, an analyst from Ample Capital. “A discount of 20% of the current price range will be seen more attractive.”
Hutchison Port Holdings Trust reported a net profit of US$655 million in 2010, from a revenue of US$1.49 billion. Similar trusts have been lapped up by investors who seek a higher dividend yield and want to diversify from bonds.
Singapore is home to property trusts owned by Southeast Asia’s biggest property firm CapitaLand (CATL.SI) as well as shipping, infrastructure and logistics’ trusts from China to Australia.
Based on the maximum indicative price, the market cap of the company will be $9.4 billion after the listing, which is likely to take place on March 18, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.
Hutchison Whampoa and Singapore state-owned PSA International, which owns 20% of the Hong Kong firm, will together own 32% of the company after the listing if overallotment is exercised.
Paulson will invest US$350 million in the IPO, whereas a Temasek unit will put in US$100 million.
DBS (DBSM.SI), Deutsche Bank (DBKGn.DE) and Goldman Sachs (GS.N) are joint bookrunners and issue managers.
JPMorgan (JPM.N), UBS (UBSN.VX), Barclays (BARC.L), Morgan Stanley (MS.N) are among co-lead managers.
Hutchison ports unit set for $7.41b IPO, SE Asia’s biggest [via]
- ► 2012 (318)
- Hutchison Whampo Port Trust indicative price
- Cornerstone investors for Hutchison Whampoa Ports ...
- Hutchison ports unit set for $7.41b IPO, SE Asia’s...
- Gmail bug wiped out 150,000 or 0.08 percent Gmail ...
- McDonalds 1-for-1 on Mar 1
- Excerpts from Warren Buffett's Berkshire annual le...
- Beijing Jasmine Protest
- What is "Gerrymandering"?
- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao pledged to control infl...
- ASP.NET - ColumnSpan Attribute of Footer Row in Gr...
- Finally cleared all my readings
- Amazon Kindle: New Features Available for Your Kin...
- New words in Oxford Dictionaries Online. Woot!
- The plight of local Singaporean professors
- Google Chrome Tips
- How to extend Microsoft Word 2010 trial period?
- What "Do Not Track" Is and Why It’s Important
- Arab unrest: 5 eyewitnesses to history
- Motorola sued for using Xoom
- HTC Sued Over ChaCha 'Facebook Phone'
- Gmail improves Labels - Allow hiding from Subject
- Google filter away low quality search resuts
- Angry Birds coming soon to Windows Phone 7
- Visualizing Google Android Activations
- How to assign a photo to be used as a thumbnail fo...
- Facebook chat in Hotmail is rolled out to all
- Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft Office
- Singapore Facebook Statistics
- GE: SDP's campaign to leverage on Internet
- Map of Electoral Divisions
- Singapore General Election - Voters Distribution
- GE: Reform Party to contest 2 GRCs, 3 SMCs
- Mrs Lina Chiam, wife of Chiam See Tong, to stand f...
- GE: SDA eyes Punggol East, Radin Mas, Mountbatten ...
- Singapore Parliamentary Electoral Map 2011
- Dr Gene Sharp - The man who wrote the revolution r...
- Amazon Kindle commercial
- Singapore Borders Massive Clearance Sale
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is now available
- Oil prices surge 7% on Libya unrest spiking as hig...
- No time to blog
- Benjamin Graham: The Godfather of Value Investing'...
- Google VS Facebook
- Warren Buffett Speaks Out About the Financial Cris...
- Google Docs Viewer supports even more file types
- Movie Studio to arrive on Google Android Honeycomb...
- Chrome extension to filter spam domains from Searc...
- UberTwitter, Twidroyd, UberCurrent apps blocked
- Budget 2011 - Information
- Learn the basics of Photoshop
- iPhone 5.0?
- Androidify to be Androidified!
- How does eCPM (Effective Cost Per Thousand Impress...
- Budget 2011: Ministers happy
- Budget 2011: Majority not happy
- How to get rid of Facebook pop out Photo Viewer?
- Buffett gets Medal of Freedom
- Singapore Polytechnic Food Court 6 - Just refurbis...
- Microsoft Finally Turns Off AutoRun in Latest Wind...
- Basics of Photoshop: Basic Drawing with the Pen To...
- Sony PS3 Jailbreak Code
- Shazam vs. SoundHound: Battle of the Mobile Song I...
- Is Jetstar Asia a majority Singaporean owned flag ...
- How to Jailbreak Your iOS 4.2.1 Device
- Nokia announced partnership with Microsoft, phasin...
- Thai airline P.C. Air employed transsexual flight ...
- Google adds 2-step verification advanced sign-in s...
- The Hongjun Daily
- Google's Interactive Doodle for Jules Verne's Birt...
- S.H.E 我愛你(劇情完整版) MV - HQ
- Unseen video footage from Egypt
- Dr Mahathir V.S. MM Lee Kwan Yew
- Across the World with the Singapore Girl
- Never Chicken Out (How to deal with ... ) Videos
- Borders may file for bankruptcy protection in Febr...
- Treasury passed China as currency manipulator but ...
- IKEA stores are designed like a MAZE
- Dalai Lama: Fruit for thought
- Egyptian protesters blew up gas pipeline to Israel...
- Checklist for the financially sound
- CloudMagic - Add search as-you-type on Gmail, Goog...
- Stephen Colbert poked fun on Google and Bing copyi...
- Motorola Android Software Upgrade Schedule
- Jess Lee Kar Wei (李佳薇) won Superstar Avenue (超級星光大...
- 超級星光大道 20110130 李佳薇 - 回家
- Google Chrome 9.0 - Several new features
- Mona Lisa identity debate again
- Official Blogger Android app
- Microsoft Bing's reply on Google's claim of possib...
- Hotmail new alias feature allows you to use multip...
- Internet officially runs out of IP Addresses
- Conclude just don't like CNY
- Starhub: Lunar New Year All Channels FREE Access ...
- Five Ways the Android-Powered Google Tablet Is Bet...
- The Five Best New Features in the Android Market a...
- Google unveiled the new Android market for the Web...
- Growing but Ageing Muslim Demographics
- Google Chrome passes 10% browser market share; Int...
- Egypt Mubarak's foes, supporters clash in Cairo
- Is Microsoft Bing copying Google search results?
- How to add Facebook Like button on Blogger Blogspo...
- Microsoft Warns of Windows Script Injection Hole (...
- Introducing Facebook Deals
- ▼ February (105)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- ► 2008 (838)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)