Fundraiser raises enough to build second well
This past month experts "exchanged” earned rank t-shirts for a donation to help build a well in Ethiopia. In all, more than 750 t-shirt redemptions were donated and, thanks to the efforts of our generous experts, a large well will be built near a school in the Senale Tabia region.
Inspired by the t-shirt charity challenge, the Experts Exchange home office hosted a fundraiser BBQ last Friday, September 24th. We partnered again with WaterRun, a locally-based non-profit dedicated to providing clean drinking water, sanitation and hygiene education to those in need around the world. WaterRun founder Ryan Broersma was on hand to answer questions while family, friends and neighbors gathered to share a meal and contribute to the cause.
In addition to the barbecue, many employees and guests participated in “The Water Challenge.” Each person carried a plastic jug full of water weighing 45 pounds around a 1/8-mile course through the parking lot, simulating the work women and children of Ethiopia often do up to 48 times per day. Many participants struggled and found it quite difficult to carry the jug the entire way.
“It is much harder than it looks to carry that jug…my arms and body got tired very quickly,” said one employee. “I couldn’t imagine having to carry it for three miles—makes me appreciate getting water out of the tap.”
Check out a video of folks walking the course here.
The barbecue was a success, generating enough funds to build a second well in the Senale Tabia region. Thanks to everyone who participated!
Here is a little more information about the specific water well we’re funding:
District: Hinatolo-Wajirat, Senale Tabia
Region: Southeastern zone of the Tigray
GPS Reading: North - 13 degrees 01’56.9, East - 39 degrees 42’22.5, Elevation – 2255m
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- Google Halloween doodle featuring Scooby Doo comes...
- Singaporeans getting disconnected?
- Tough November ahead
- Gmail in mobile Safari: now even more like a nativ...
- Gmail in mobile works like an app
- Apple shoots back and attack Blackberry
- Blackberry shoots Apple
- Spanish prostitutes ordered to wear reflective ves...
- Really: New Windows Phone 7 Official Ad
- Swiss couple insulted by celebrant in Maldives whi...
- SMRT reported fall in net profit
- Wall Street bankers just earn too much
- Advance to the Previous / Next Gmail Message After...
- Find out Twitter's health status
- Messy November
- L A P O S
- Weekly Address: Letting Wall Street Run Wild Again...
- Warren Buffett view on investing on Gold
- After Froyo, it will be Gingerbread
- QR Code for my blog
- Mapletree Industrial Trust higher by 24.73% since ...
- Global Logistics Properties Trust higher by 18.65%...
- TweetDeck CEO backlash against Jobs
- Got his first ever successful IPO
- Steve Jobs Slams RIM, Google
- Interesting Quote
- kinstant home page for kindle-friendly websites
- Social Media Search & Data Mining Primed To Out-Go...
- Windows Phone 7: Live from the Device Launch
- Singapore IPOs: Is multiple applications for IPO p...
- Google Personalized Birthday Doodle for YOU
- Downloaded first eBook: Project Gutenberg (1971-20...
- McDonalds at Bukit Merah to close down
- U.K. banks banned from selling credit insurance
- Experts-Exchange BBQ Fundraiser for Ethiopia
- Why was Temasek Review down?
- Keep Gmail account safe with Gmail security checkl...
- Brian Wong & Jacelyn Tay Love Video - Two are bett...
- Singapore Dream Team Song 1993!!!
- Validate URL using regular expression
- Mapletree Industrial Trust Pre-IPO
- Nice quote
- What is Social Networking? Explained in Plain Engl...
- Stacey Kramer: The best gift I ever survived
- Wife of Liu Xiaobo ‘Detained’
- Mapletree Industrial Trust IPO date
- Global Logistics Properties (GLP) IPO date
- How the Stock Market Works
- Google Is Testing Cars That Drive Themselves
- Doubt mutual funds
- Follow Gmail on Twitter
- Final page impressions for 8 Oct is at 3,121
- So much for so little
- Top 10 pages for past 7 days
- GLP next
- 2,453 hits for 8 oct
- 1,857 hits so far for the day !
- Social Graph - What does Facebook publish about yo...
- Cool tool to search for social media conversations...
- Google Trends Oct 8, 2010 - ACJC Top !
- Unusual blog activity investigated
- Unusual site count on my blog
- Microsoft Office Labs 2019
- Google Instant Adds EVEN More Keyboard Shortcuts
- Nielsen: Android Is Most Popular Smartphone OS
- What are ETFs and why is it beneficial to buy them...
- Can Money Buy You Happiness?
- Google doodle with a video embed - John Lennon Doo...
- Madam Kwa Geok Choo : 1920 - 2010
- Busy night again
- Eulogy by MM Lee Kwan Yew: The last farewell to hi...
- Lord, give me strength
- jQuery getBoundingClientRect syntax error
- ▼ October (74)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- ► 2008 (838)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)