Q: "Do you feel satisfied that that's moving along quite well? Or do you worry?"
Mr Lee: "I think for the next ten years, with this team in charge, it is going to be fine. Whether they will do well for the next 10-15 years depends on whether they get a younger team in place, well imbibed into the methods of the government, integrity, ability, and making decisions for the public good, and not for your personal benefit. That's all. It is difficult because it means sacrificing privacy and sacrificing pay. Now we solved the pay problem or semi-solved it by giving them 80 per cent of the average of six major salary earners."
Q: "Is that how you arrived at it?"
Mr Lee: "Yeah, but we are always lagging behind because whenever there's a downturn, we don’t give the rise. Whenever there's an upturn, the private sectors goes up, shoots up suddenly and we can't keep pace because the public says no, this is too much."
Q: "Well, when people are getting US$16 billion bonuses for bringing the country into the ground, it is hard to keep up."
Mr Lee: "I was once asked about the enormous, the best paid ministers in the world. I said you should look at the wives. The lowest-paid ministers have wives who are glittering with jewels and with big mansions."
Q: "So that means they are corrupt."
Mr Lee: "No, I didn’t say that."
Q: "That was pretty way to be said."
Mr Lee: "But it's true. So Singaporeans have to decide. Do you want to underpay a minister and you have the kind of shenanigans as you have in the British Parliament? You know they repair their homes in the country and in London and charge it to their account. Or you pay them a proper wage and said after that, look after everything. Nobody gets any special perks. That's your salary, you buy your car, you do what everything is yours. Official entertainment, you have got an expense account. Your secretary monitors it and audits channel clears it. So everything is above board and the public knows that. So whatever they grumble, they know that they are not being shortchanged."
Q: "There are grumbles but there are always grumbles."
Mr Lee: "There must be. Singaporeans are champion grumblers."
Q: "Thank you so much.
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew said Singaporeans are Champion Grumblers
An excerpt from the transcript of Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew's interview with Mark Jacobson from National Geographics on 6 July 2009 (For National Geographic Magazine Jan 2010 Edition)
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- Schedule for school
- STI off 1.5%, ‘Run first, think later’, says analy...
- Google Android will prevail over Apple's iPhone an...
- Forum on the topic of "Profitable Group - is it cr...
- Android ad traffic overtook iPhone traffic in the ...
- Alien Invasion: Why Stephen Hawking is Wrong
- New fare policy is fairer, says transport council
- Google Earth integrated into Google Maps
- Singapore government takes on Al Jazeera for misre...
- Cats that fall from higher than 7 stories get fewe...
- Embed of MP3 files is NOT working
- How To Overcome Market Fear
- 1.5 Million Facebook Accounts for Sale in Web Foru...
- Goldman knew it profited from mortgage crisis
- Olivia Ong 王儷婷 -- I Told You Lately
- 超級星光大道20100423 Olivia ~ I Feel The Earth Move
- Berkeley Riddles
- Effective email policies: Why enforcing proper use...
- Stock portfolio past performance
- Top Ten Mistakes Seniors Make With Their Finances
- My last flight
- iTag tracks and finds lost Android phone
- Google Android running on an iPhone
- Adobe ditching flash for the iPhone and concentrat...
- Mapletree Logistics Trust DPU for 1Q up 2%
- Mother tongue weighting in PSLE could be cut
- Planned trip
- New distance-based fare system will see public tra...
- Google Search Using Virtual Keyboard
- Find it crappy to receive 3 certificates for a sho...
- 林俊杰、孙燕姿、阿杜、蔡健雅 《感动每一刻》
- In addition to earlier post on "Uncertain trading ...
- Uncertain trading week ahead
- View the Icelandic volcano on Google Earth
- Schedule for School
- My Research Paper - Comparison between 2 models of...
- Just hate it
- Google Cloud Print - Printing over the web
- Microsoft Fix it Center guides your through common...
- Gmail allows "Drag and Drop" attachments onto mess...
- Famous Hacker Calls Windows More Secure than Mac
- SMRT target price raised to $2.50 by UBS, keeps ‘b...
- 11 new stations of Circle Line to operate from Apr...
- Bet is placed
- Really tired
- China Minzhong Food Corp Ltd
- New bedtime stories while travelling
- What Does Gearing Ratio Mean?
- Why Life Insurance Is Not an Investment?
- Singapore shares end near 2-year high on surge in ...
- Singapore GDP up 13.1% for first quarter 2010
- Should I renew my PMI membership?
- Where to look for "Cash and cash equivalents" in f...
- How well does your browser support HTML5?
- Plink Art - Recognise photo and return you descrip...
- Introducing new Google Docs
- The sounds of typing can be decoded, hence, be gen...
- Google AdSense Link units revamped
- My comment on the use of pompous and bombastic sen...
- Can Android Overtake the iPhone?
- Logical deduction from being able to solve inequal...
- Shortcut key for Gmail message sneak peek
- Shall research on Google Maps API after ...
- 'This is It' DVD collecting dust too
- 劉若英 《我們沒有在一起》
- Google Android phone left collecting dust
- Windows Live Messenger "You have 1 Invitation" Bug...
- DBS CEO, who joined in Nov, earned $3 mln in two m...
- What Will Apple's iAds Mean for You?
- Windows Live Messenger Invitation Bug
- The sunflower photo album
- Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew said Singaporeans are...
- 孔子诗经 -- 硕鼠
- Skyrocketing COE prices does not equate lower publ...
- Apple's New iPhone OS 4 License Blocks Flash
- 6 Breathtaking Scenic Drives in Asia
- S.H.E -- SHERO
- Google Dictionary in action, English, Chinese, Fre...
- Taiwanese Lin Yu Chun Sings Whitney Houston's "I W...
- What Company News Really Means
- Apple iPhone VS Motorola Milestone Google Android
- 1 more assignment down!
- The Paradox
- Web Browser Performance
- What is blind voting?
- History of Religion
- Gmail Labs new features: Nested Hierarchical Label...
- All about the new coming Apple iPhone 4
- Why do Finland's schools get the best results?
- Am Broke-er by $93.92
- China Minzhong Food Corporation Limited IPO
- Former Citi's CEO Prince Charles Apologised
- iPad Cost Analysis Leaves Apple Plenty of Profits
- Astroturfing in the air : 'Poison' pen letters hit...
- Poorer by $115
- How do you know this and that?
- Roger Kirby: Rights of Asia Investors - Class acti...
- HDB advised Sheng Siong to consider before making ...
- Toyota's Dilemma: Pay record fine or Fight the gov...
- Interesting media release by Noble Group in respon...
- Charged $3 for doing interbank fund transfer over ...
- IBM survived due to focus on customer
- Calculate a Random Number from a Normal Distributi...
- How to calculate PI value?
- 2 assignments down
- Global semiconductor sales up 56 pct in February
- Buffett's Berkshire is best-regarded US company
- Top 3 sites for discovering Android apps
- SMRT share price at ALL-time high
- How to Calculate a Random Number from a Normal Dis...
- Business Idea
- God Bless You
- Excel Normal Distribution Formulas
- Objectives of Secure and Fair Electronic Voting
- Al Jazeera English dropped from SingTel Mio TV fro...
- A tiring long weekend
- Gmail on the iPad
- Normal distribution
- More on 鄭秀文
- 鄭秀文Sammi Cheng -- I Will Survive
- 鄭秀文 -- 默契
- Vow to improve my teaching method in this coming s...
- Stacks of financial annual reports left untouched
- Red shirts swarm shopping district
- A critique of the Singapore Healthcare system
- Improved comment collapsing for Google Buzz posts
- 'Red Shirt' blood had HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatit...
- 王菲 -- 光之翼
- Foxit Reader new release to patch critical vulnera...
- Fannie Mae delinquencies continues to mount despit...
- What makes a procession?
- Singapore to raise electricity tariffs again from ...
- Google Gmail missing vowels
- More companies require project managers to be cert...
- Fundsupermart - To Start Imposing Platform Fee
- United Singapore Democrats — a new political party...
- Stock Portfolio (Historical Prices)
- ComfortDelGro Driving Centre charges $5 for "Forge...
- ST Aerospace bags 10-year maintenance contract wor...
- Nice talking to you again after so long
- ▼ April (150)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- ► 2008 (838)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)