MAS responds to feedback on sale of unlisted investment products
9 Sep 2009
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) said it will ban the use of the term "capital or principal protected", or any form of the term, in all disclosure documents and marketing materials for unlisted investment products sold to retail investors.
It said this is due to a lack of an agreed definition of the term, which would be clear and easily understood by investors.
This was one of the changes highlighted in MAS' response to feedback on a recent consultation paper, which reviewed the sale and marketing of unlisted investment products.
The Consultation Paper on the Review of the Regulatory Regime Governing the Sale and Marketing of Unlisted Investment Products was published on March 12.
Unlisted investment products include debentures and unit trusts which are not traded on an approved exchange, and life insurance policies.
The central bank will also impose restrictions on marketing and advertising materials.
These include guidelines on the font size, which must be a minimum of 10 point Times New Roman, and restrictions on the use of graphics or words that are inconsistent with the nature or risks of the product.
To offer more timely disclosure, MAS will also require issuers to provide semi-annual and annual reports on unlisted investment products with tenures of 12 months or longer.
They must also disclose "material changes" to all unlisted investment products regardless of tenure. MAS said ongoing disclosures can be made online and it will provide more details on how this can be implemented later.
The central bank will also develop guidelines on the format and information to be included in the semi-annual and annual reports, which will be put up for consultation in the first quarter of 2010.
Another change is that issuers have to inform investors of the bid or redemption prices of each unlisted product publicly and regularly. This is to give investors an indication of the price at which they can exit from their investments.
But MAS noted that this is only an indicative price and may not be the actual exit price. Issuers are not obligated to provide an exit mechanism for investors.
However, issuers must ensure that their representatives are competent in selling complex investment products.
In light of that, MAS said both new and existing representatives will have to pass the new Capital Markets and Financial Advisory Services (CMFAS) module for complex products before they are allowed to sell them.
Transitional arrangements will be made for existing representatives when the new model is implemented in the first half of 2010.
MAS added that it will also introduce a cooling period of seven days for unlisted debentures with tenures longer than three months.
The central bank will publish the second part of its response to the public feedback in the 4th quarter of 2009. It will cover areas like remuneration structures for the sale of investment products and risk rating of retail investment products, among others.
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- Stressful but am looking for joy in it
- My Product Review on CIMB StarSaver Account
- To recommend a stock for others is HARD++
- S'pore firm sells all-terrain vehicle to UK for Af...
- Paper Cranes Productions Wedding Showcase 2008
- Dirpy - Convert YouTube videos into MP3 for listen...
- My answer to an interesting quote
- Taylor Swift -- Love Story
- Ayutthaya Itinerary
- Translator for Libyan leader Colonel Moamer Kadhaf...
- 林峯 + 泳兒 -- 明天以后
- 2009 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix Saturd...
- Pondering over a change in environment
- Singaporean wages decreased for the past 3 years, ...
- Beethoven Symphony No.9
- Free Coke Promotion @ Bugis Junction’s McDonalds
- Working time needed to buy a Big Mac
- Experts-Exchange Beta has got blogging feature
- Pre Wedding Film "IMAGINE"
- Flight Trial Celebration at Brotzeit German Bier B...
- Miss Singapore World 2009 Ris Low was charged due ...
- Miniatur Wunderland - Largest model railway / rail...
- The Wonders of Technology - Windows Live Messenger...
- Spent 2 hours planning Bangkok and Ayutthaya trip ...
- Anything can happen will happen
- HP Abandons EDS Brand
- THIS IS FUN!
- Manga artist Yoshito Usui, author of Crayon Shin-c...
- A mysterious series for H.G. Wells
- Warren Buffett, the missing voicemail and the spec...
- To-Do List for long weekend
- Kent Ridge Ministerial Forum 2009
- Market Outlook: Bulls for the past week and the we...
- Requalified for FREE Premium Services from Experts...
- Malaysia trying to claim chilli crab and hainanese...
- Realistic World = The Matrix
- Mythbusting: Frequent Rebalancing improves portfol...
- YouTube Resume from where you left off
- Best Global Brands List 2009
- Google Book Downloader Downloads Books to PDF
- Office Web Applications First Look
- Land Banking investors in Singapore described as N...
- Shares of suitmaker, Dalian Dayang Trands Co, soar...
- Increased holdings on ST Engineering yet again
- The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans
- Marco Polo Marine shares surge too good to be true...
- What is Cognitive Dissonance Theory
- What is Disconfirmation Theory
- Haze Outlook
- Case on Land Banking is now REAL
- 黎明 -- 堆積情感
- Hide your Windows from bosses
- Too auntie behaviour?
- George Yeo on New Media to Build Trust
- My Destiny
- Singapore PSI hits 64 today at 4pm
- Windows 7 Professional-English (32 bit and 64bit) ...
- I am worth S$700,000
- Sitting on comfortable profits on recent stocks fo...
- PM Lee says the interest of citizens will always c...
- Just how difficult it was to cancel an AOL account...
- I am insured the most next week
- Knocking senses into UEFA with "financial fair pla...
- History of the PDA
- Google Fast Flip - News Scanning Tech
- Totally drained (Battery flat)
- Investing for the long term in high dividend yield...
- Fed up with Challenger VERY poor service
- MediShield should cover congenital illnesses
- Removing Splinters using bananas
- Weekly Address: Losing Insurance Can Happen to Any...
- UOB Life Assurance up for sale?
- Rich son poor son
- World turns disapproving eyes on Singapore banquet...
- Do not show your iPhone to Microsoft CEO Ballmer
- Finally people are more understanding
- Facebook Lite: Lighter version of Facebook
- Interesting Warren Buffett Quote on Diversificatio...
- Efficient PDA user once again
- Colleague selling his car for a very unique reason...
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony 40 in G min KV ...
- China-made Losang-branded laptops at COMEX 2009 co...
- Flight confirmed
- Geronimo Stilton - Best-selling children's book se...
- Free laptop for doing freelance
- Embeddable Google Document Viewer
- Google Maps and Hasbro launches Monopoly City Stre...
- Kennedy’s Letter to Obama
- Startup Invents Anti-Theft Tag for Smartphones
- What is "Economic Rent"?
- Memory Lane on Presbyterian High School by a frien...
- MAS responds to feedback on sale of unlisted inves...
- MAS bans use of "Capital Protected"
- Why is price of Gold rising?
- Survived meeting marathon but was left dehydrated
- More Singapore big names firms sold to foreign inv...
- Kraft Foods takeover Cadbury speculation
- Yet another post on Land Banking
- "Google" = "Gogle": Google's unexplained phenomeno...
- Wait and see strategy for September
- 范瑋琪 --- 可不可以不勇敢
- Back to old ways again: Wall Street Pursues Profit...
- More credit card safeguards
- Why some insurance participating policies have poo...
- Understanding CPF Life
- Government telling us to have positive thinking fo...
- Weekly Address: Labor Day and Fair Rewards for Har...
- 21% death claims rejected by California's largest ...
- Does God Exist?
- Finally sold off my last stock that does not align...
- 4 new Gmail themes released
- Lee Kuan Yew - The Founding Father of Singapore
- 張學友 --- 遙遠的她
- Miss Singapore World 2009 Ris Low is a Disgrace
- Reply by MAS on Petition to Prime Minister for gen...
- Pork in Singapore is safe to eat
- Reason for no insurance coverage for flying
- Lim Swee Say and his rhetoric again
- Love Is the Greatest
- Koh Brothers business model fundamentally strong
- Faster free Wireless@SG service
- WPA-Secured Wi-Fi Hacked in 60 Seconds
- Microsoft, Yahoo and Wolfram Alpha team up to comp...
- Big project starts today
- ▼ September (125)
- ► 2008 (838)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)