Below is the letter from the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy sent to President Obama on the need for changes to the health care system, as released by the White House on Wednesday. I see both Kennedy and Obama as two true dedicated leaders to public service. I admire their tireless days and nights in placing public interests as their top priority despite being paid many times less than what the many cabinet ministers are earning in Singapore.
May 12, 2009
Dear Mr. President,
I wanted to write a few final words to you to express my gratitude for your repeated personal kindnesses to me – and one last time, to salute your leadership in giving our country back its future and its truth.
On a personal level, you and Michelle reached out to Vicki, to our family and me in so many different ways. You helped to make these difficult months a happy time in my life.
You also made it a time of hope for me and for our country.
When I thought of all the years, all the battles, and all the memories of my long public life, I felt confident in these closing days that while I will not be there when it happens, you will be the President who at long last signs into law the health care reform that is the great unfinished business of our society. For me, this cause stretched across decades; it has been disappointed, but never finally defeated. It was the cause of my life. And in the past year, the prospect of victory sustained me-and the work of achieving it summoned my energy and determination.
There will be struggles – there always have been – and they are already underway again. But as we moved forward in these months, I learned that you will not yield to calls to retreat - that you will stay with the cause until it is won. I saw your conviction that the time is now and witnessed your unwavering commitment and understanding that health care is a decisive issue for our future prosperity. But you have also reminded all of us that it concerns more than material things; that what we face is above all a moral issue; that at stake are not just the details of policy, but fundamental principles of social justice and the character of our country.
And so because of your vision and resolve, I came to believe that soon, very soon, affordable health coverage will be available to all, in an America where the state of a family's health will never again depend on the amount of a family's wealth. And while I will not see the victory, I was able to look forward and know that we will – yes, we will – fulfill the promise of health care in America as a right and not a privilege.
In closing, let me say again how proud I was to be part of your campaign- and proud as well to play a part in the early months of a new era of high purpose and achievement. I entered public life with a young President who inspired a generation and the world. It gives me great hope that as I leave, another young President inspires another generation and once more on America's behalf inspires the entire world.
So, I wrote this to thank you one last time as a friend- and to stand with you one last time for change and the America we can become.
At the Denver Convention where you were nominated, I said the dream lives on.
And I finished this letter with unshakable faith that the dream will be fulfilled for this generation, and preserved and enlarged for generations to come.
With deep respect and abiding affection,
Kennedy’s Letter to Obama [via]
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- Stressful but am looking for joy in it
- My Product Review on CIMB StarSaver Account
- To recommend a stock for others is HARD++
- S'pore firm sells all-terrain vehicle to UK for Af...
- Paper Cranes Productions Wedding Showcase 2008
- Dirpy - Convert YouTube videos into MP3 for listen...
- My answer to an interesting quote
- Taylor Swift -- Love Story
- Ayutthaya Itinerary
- Translator for Libyan leader Colonel Moamer Kadhaf...
- 林峯 + 泳兒 -- 明天以后
- 2009 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix Saturd...
- Pondering over a change in environment
- Singaporean wages decreased for the past 3 years, ...
- Beethoven Symphony No.9
- Free Coke Promotion @ Bugis Junction’s McDonalds
- Working time needed to buy a Big Mac
- Experts-Exchange Beta has got blogging feature
- Pre Wedding Film "IMAGINE"
- Flight Trial Celebration at Brotzeit German Bier B...
- Miss Singapore World 2009 Ris Low was charged due ...
- Miniatur Wunderland - Largest model railway / rail...
- The Wonders of Technology - Windows Live Messenger...
- Spent 2 hours planning Bangkok and Ayutthaya trip ...
- Anything can happen will happen
- HP Abandons EDS Brand
- THIS IS FUN!
- Manga artist Yoshito Usui, author of Crayon Shin-c...
- A mysterious series for H.G. Wells
- Warren Buffett, the missing voicemail and the spec...
- To-Do List for long weekend
- Kent Ridge Ministerial Forum 2009
- Market Outlook: Bulls for the past week and the we...
- Requalified for FREE Premium Services from Experts...
- Malaysia trying to claim chilli crab and hainanese...
- Realistic World = The Matrix
- Mythbusting: Frequent Rebalancing improves portfol...
- YouTube Resume from where you left off
- Best Global Brands List 2009
- Google Book Downloader Downloads Books to PDF
- Office Web Applications First Look
- Land Banking investors in Singapore described as N...
- Shares of suitmaker, Dalian Dayang Trands Co, soar...
- Increased holdings on ST Engineering yet again
- The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans
- Marco Polo Marine shares surge too good to be true...
- What is Cognitive Dissonance Theory
- What is Disconfirmation Theory
- Haze Outlook
- Case on Land Banking is now REAL
- 黎明 -- 堆積情感
- Hide your Windows from bosses
- Too auntie behaviour?
- George Yeo on New Media to Build Trust
- My Destiny
- Singapore PSI hits 64 today at 4pm
- Windows 7 Professional-English (32 bit and 64bit) ...
- I am worth S$700,000
- Sitting on comfortable profits on recent stocks fo...
- PM Lee says the interest of citizens will always c...
- Just how difficult it was to cancel an AOL account...
- I am insured the most next week
- Knocking senses into UEFA with "financial fair pla...
- History of the PDA
- Google Fast Flip - News Scanning Tech
- Totally drained (Battery flat)
- Investing for the long term in high dividend yield...
- Fed up with Challenger VERY poor service
- MediShield should cover congenital illnesses
- Removing Splinters using bananas
- Weekly Address: Losing Insurance Can Happen to Any...
- UOB Life Assurance up for sale?
- Rich son poor son
- World turns disapproving eyes on Singapore banquet...
- Do not show your iPhone to Microsoft CEO Ballmer
- Finally people are more understanding
- Facebook Lite: Lighter version of Facebook
- Interesting Warren Buffett Quote on Diversificatio...
- Efficient PDA user once again
- Colleague selling his car for a very unique reason...
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony 40 in G min KV ...
- China-made Losang-branded laptops at COMEX 2009 co...
- Flight confirmed
- Geronimo Stilton - Best-selling children's book se...
- Free laptop for doing freelance
- Embeddable Google Document Viewer
- Google Maps and Hasbro launches Monopoly City Stre...
- Kennedy’s Letter to Obama
- Startup Invents Anti-Theft Tag for Smartphones
- What is "Economic Rent"?
- Memory Lane on Presbyterian High School by a frien...
- MAS responds to feedback on sale of unlisted inves...
- MAS bans use of "Capital Protected"
- Why is price of Gold rising?
- Survived meeting marathon but was left dehydrated
- More Singapore big names firms sold to foreign inv...
- Kraft Foods takeover Cadbury speculation
- Yet another post on Land Banking
- "Google" = "Gogle": Google's unexplained phenomeno...
- Wait and see strategy for September
- 范瑋琪 --- 可不可以不勇敢
- Back to old ways again: Wall Street Pursues Profit...
- More credit card safeguards
- Why some insurance participating policies have poo...
- Understanding CPF Life
- Government telling us to have positive thinking fo...
- Weekly Address: Labor Day and Fair Rewards for Har...
- 21% death claims rejected by California's largest ...
- Does God Exist?
- Finally sold off my last stock that does not align...
- 4 new Gmail themes released
- Lee Kuan Yew - The Founding Father of Singapore
- 張學友 --- 遙遠的她
- Miss Singapore World 2009 Ris Low is a Disgrace
- Reply by MAS on Petition to Prime Minister for gen...
- Pork in Singapore is safe to eat
- Reason for no insurance coverage for flying
- Lim Swee Say and his rhetoric again
- Love Is the Greatest
- Koh Brothers business model fundamentally strong
- Faster free Wireless@SG service
- WPA-Secured Wi-Fi Hacked in 60 Seconds
- Microsoft, Yahoo and Wolfram Alpha team up to comp...
- Big project starts today
- ▼ September (125)
- ► 2008 (838)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)