LONDON (Reuters) - Michael Jackson's sudden death could prove a major blow to AEG Live, promoter of his eagerly awaited run of 50 London concerts, as well as to fans who paid well over the odds to get hold of coveted tickets.
The residency at the O2 Arena had been due to begin on July 13, and organizers have yet to decide exactly how they handle refunding tickets bought directly from themselves or authorized dealers, not to mention tickets bought from unauthorized dealers, online auction sites and ticket touts.
AEG Live's British website issued a brief statement on Jackson's death and added: "A further announcement for ticket holders will be made in due course."
Paying back the face value of some of the estimated 750,000 tickets sold is unlikely to be AEG Live's only headache.
The company is reported to have invested $20-30 million on the production already, not including any advance to Jackson.
And the O2 Arena, which appears on AEG's list of sites it owns or operates, is now faced with 50 empty nights, some of which it will struggle to fill at such short notice.
AEG Live's financial exposure will depend partly on how well insured it was for the 50-concert run.
According to industry experts, the concert promoter, a subsidiary of Anschutz Entertainment Group, initially found demand among insurers when the concerts were announced in March.
"I think what happened was that when AEG Live's broker started going to the market to cover the original 10 dates, the appetite was there," said Jonathan Swift, editor of the specialist Post publication.
"But when the tour started escalating into more dates, people were not so keen."
Doubts were voiced in March about Jackson's ability to perform a long residency amid concerns over his health, and they persisted until his sudden death Thursday.
In March, AEG Live chief executive Randy Phillips was quoted by the Telegraph newspaper as saying the company would be prepared to self-insure.
At the time of the announcement, he told Reuters that Jackson had passed a four-and-a-half hour physical examination by independent doctors. He also said Jackson could gross "well over $400 million" under a long-term deal with AEG.
Media reports have estimated AEG Live's potential liability from the concerts at up to 300 million pounds, although company representatives in Europe could not be reached for comment.
A spokesman for Lloyd's, the world's leading insurance market, said: "We can confirm that some insurance for Michael Jackson's concerts has been placed in the Lloyd's market, but any losses are not likely to be significant."
Music industry publication Billboard reported that Jackson's cause of death could play a part in AEG's exposure.
Quoting an entertainment insurance industry insider, it said that if the singer died from a drug overdose or pre-existing condition, "the producer could be on the hook for any loss."
But if Jackson's contract stated he would return his advance in the event of not performing, the company "could end up in court with a long line of other Jackson creditors."
As for ticket holders, online exchange Seatwave said customers would get a refund for the O2 shows. People who bought from unauthorized sellers may not be covered, added experts.
The official face value of tickets to see Jackson was advertised at 50-75 pounds ($83-124), but a pair of "VIP" passes to the opening show was offered on eBay for 16,000 pounds.
Michael Jackson's death hits tour promoter, ticket holders [via]
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- Firefox 3.5 Available for Download
- Fraudster Madoff gets 150 years
- Finished 2nd version of my Thailand Itinerary
- My former school, Presbyterian High, closes for a ...
- H1N1 test costs $214.05
- Lenovo, 2nd after HP, to offer free Windows update...
- Possibility of Bangkok trip being cancelled, NO wa...
- Google Gmail allows file attachment size up to 25M...
- Michael Jackson Selected Hits
- President Obama Dunks Senior Advisors
- SM Goh says residents should take greater interest...
- Tariff up by 7%
- Who gets the money if a bank account holder passes...
- Decided to work on both Sat and Sun
- OMG! Record breaking number of posts for any month...
- Nostalgic over 'Heal the World'
- Michael Jackson - Heal The World
- A quote by Michael Jackson
- Michael Jackson's death hits tour promoter, ticket...
- Safer to travel overseas?
- Microsoft Windows 7 Pricing Unveiled
- Inhaling in mothball for half a day
- Got S$1,500 worth of dividends
- M'sia stocks may fall 10% before rebounding
- Optimus Prime shall be me
- Overloaded with work but too little resources and ...
- Tips for Making Websites Run Faster
- Comparing Google Translate and Bing Translate
- Windows 7 Release Candidate downloads will end Aug...
- Microsoft Security Essentials Beta
- I should be in Bali now
- Major Asian Bourses Fell
- Mouldy room less smelly but still mouldy
- Gunning for a correction
- Moving from Containment to Mitigation phase
- Singapore changes tactics to battle H1N1 influenza...
- Unimaginable creepy working environment
- Bought 10 masks for myself
- Change Facebook Language Settings to English (Pira...
- Just when will PruLink discount be over?
- Investing in Malaysian market
- 21st of any month of no meaning to me now
- PCK Phua Chu Kang rap - A Happy Journey Starts Lik...
- 梁靜茹 - 情歌
- Maslow's hierarchy of needs
- Financial Reform to Protect Consumers
- Royal Grand Palace, Bangkok, Thailand
- Working in a mouldy room
- United We Serve
- Glad is successful
- Collecta - Real time search
- Travel insurance does not cover H1N1 related claim...
- Travel Advisory
- Interesting quote on my way to Changi Airbase
- To quarantine for 3 days next month
- Microsoft to offer own antivirus software for FREE...
- President Obama Announces Financial Regulation Ref...
- NUS cleared my locker without informing me
- Dae Jang Keum 大长今 and its Legendary Hyperinflation...
- Extreme Shepherding
- Latest URL on Blacklist
- Contracting H1N1?
- What is a browser?
- GST Credits to be given out on 1 Jul 2009
- How to Write an Information Security Policy
- 13 from my company received quarantine orders due ...
- Contemplating in retirement planning for myself
- BRIC Should Include Indonesia, Morgan Stanley Says...
- Lakers won NBA finals 2009
- Selling for profit taking
- S'pore's Q1 labour market sees 1st quarterly contr...
- An interesting paradox
- Ronaldo is an individual player
- The 10 Essential Rules for Slowing Down and Enjoyi...
- Mulling over offloading 4,000 ST Engg shares
- Another interesting quote I saw on Facebook
- My Stocks
- Facebook username set
- Grab your Facebook username FAST
- Windows 7 shall ship without Internet Explorer to ...
- Do good or bad acts in a lifetime: The calculated ...
- To-do List getting longer
- Interesting quote I saw on Facebook
- Fast service from DBS Cards
- Visitor hit count to my blog back to normal at 106...
- WHO 'declares swine flu pandemic'
- CPF interest rate for Special, Medisave and Retire...
- Man Utd to sell Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid
- Glad that Wall Street is falling
- Click here to find out more! Microsoft Sets Record...
- Singapore Casino builders strike over pay reported...
- Problem to window automatically opening on my blog...
- Unusual traffic to my blog due to virus / worm?
- How to do a Mini-Map on ESRI ArcGIS Desktop?
- HDB Property prices will not fall significantly
- Transparency: Open Government Operations
- Contra on Healthway Medical
- Blog hits for past 7 days reach 1,097
- Windows 7 Aero Snap
- Roadmap to Recovery after 100 days
- Mixed signals for week ahead
- Condolences to Google adviser Rajeev Motwani
- PC Show 2009 @ Suntec City
- Planning for Bangkok Trip
- Singapore Lesson: Buy High, Sell Low
- Harvey Norman closing stores as slowdown cuts marg...
- Sudden Surge in Hits
- Lying to myself
- Watching 溏心风暴之家好月圆 episode 1 brought back memories...
- Finding Financial Advice in an Age of Bad Behavior...
- Bing is my default search engine
- Microsoft Bing is now 2nd overtaking Yahoo!
- The impact of social media on the CIO
- Window Hider - Hide windows in a few keystrokes or...
- Singapore News Alternative - GIC, Temasek and tran...
- Seeking my own reaction
- Just watched Movie "Yes Man"
- Relaxing Friday
- Secure Erasure Software
- All you need to do is rise when you fall
- Google Reveals Top 10 Malware Sites
- My View on Temasek Holdings
- Upturn the Downturn Song
- How to get uncensored Internet access in China - B...
- Google Squared Adds Structure to Unstructured Data...
- 张学友 - 真情流露
- Hokkien song: I Ask Heaven (我问天)
- Adobe BrowserLab - An easier, faster solution for ...
- Nature Walk from HortPark to Amphitheater in Vivo ...
- Education Minister Ng Eng Hen 4Cs for the younger ...
- Microsoft: Windows 7 Will Launch Oct. 22
- In Unity for Her Liberty: a Peace Vigil for Daw Au...
- The End of an Old GM, and the Beginning of a New G...
- Return back to Society
- Stop Cheating
- Temple Sign from Bali
- Microsoft Bing Search - Product Tour of Bing.com
- Bing Goes Live
- Tips to investors
- What's next to contra?
- ▼ June (142)
- ► 2008 (838)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)