For polytechnic and universities students, they have to pay the following concession rates:
Bus Concession Pass - $52/month, unlimited bus concession travel on basic fare bus services for one month.
Train Concession Pass - $45/month, up to 4 rides per day on the MRT/LRT for one month.
Hybrid Concession Pass - $97/month, unlimited bus concession travel on basic fare bus services for one month and up to 4 rides per day on the MRT/LRT for one month.
As for JC and ITE students, the same concession passes cost $27.50, $25 & $52.50 respectively. This is as much as 89% lower!
I thought this is a good start to get tertiary students’ voices heard. I myself was once a tertiary student from Singapore Poly and NUS who had to pay higher transport fares for no reason. I do agree in tertiary students need to be fairly treated and not having to pay adult fares or 80% more concession rates as compared to their non working peers from JC and ITE. If I remember correctly, this issue was brought out several times but no one appears to take this case seriously.
I think this move should apply to all FULL-TIME students irregardless of institutions. Do remember these students do not have income throughout their study period and some actually get allowances from parents.
I will join in this petition. I truly feel for them.
5 simple ways to participate and support this nationwide campaign:
- Download and read the Petition here and the Signature Document here and circulate it among your friends. (Email the list of signatures/ completed document to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Email the following information (in the form) to this email address (email@example.com):
• Student? (Y/N)
• Institution of Study (If applicable)
- Sign up to be an official volunteer to bring forth the petition to your school/ institution of study/ workplace.
- Spread the word and put up the campaign logo on your blog/website. (The logo will be available in a few days’ time.)
- Be part of the campaign’s numerous petition drives in the weeks and months to come.