The recent collapsed of investment bank Lehman Brothers and several money losing banks like Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, etc have resulted many losing huge savings invested on so-called "safe" structured investment products promoted by banks' Relationship Managers (RM). These credit linked securities e.g. Minibond, Pinnacle Notes and High Notes are highly sophisticated. One of the most high profile ones is DBS High Notes 5 which is at risk of a zero payout after Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
I personally prefer investing in those that are more transparent and simple like Stocks and Shares, Unit Trusts and ETFs. I believe these are better managed and simpler. I do not believe in structured investment products whereby there is said to be "guaranteed". I believe nothing is guaranteed when it comes to investment. Stocks and shares with strong fundamentals like the blue chips, well-diversified Unit Trusts portfolio spread, and ETFs are safer and are more likely to grow when invested for long term. Moreover, dividends returned from stocks, UT and ETFs are more transparent.
There are already many resentments over the misleading selling of complicated structured investment products that have caused many including senior citizens losing substantial percentage of their retirement savings. In certain degree, I do feel the Relationship Managers are partly at fault but I believe if there is no demand, then there will be no supply. That's how economics works basically - Demand meets Supply. I strongly advise consumers to commit only when they know what they are doing. This tip is applicable not only on investment but also on all things. Once committed, the consumer is deemed to have understood and agreed to all underlying mechanisms. Banks and financial advisers marketing these credit linked securities should present all risks involved. Both sides must do their part.
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- Another NSMan Collapsed During Training
- Singapore Raise Electricity Tariff While Hong Kong...
- CASE Advise Singaporeans to Use Electricity Effect...
- Electricity Bill to Go Up by 21%
- Goh Chok Tong Comments on Recent Minibonds, High N...
- Download Notepad 2008 in Office 2007 Ribbon UI
- Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3 Release
- Singapore Manufacturing Output Drops 12.2% in Augu...
- Failed to Obtain Latest CAR of Insurance Companies...
- AIG to Borrow $20 Billion From Its Own Subsidiarie...
- Washington Mutual - 13th U.S. Bank to Fail this Ye...
- Google Launches Google Moderator
- Convert DOCX to DOC and Other Types Online
- Google Android Phone: What You Need to Know
- Kaspersky Security Bulletin 2008: Malware Evolutio...
- How to Stay Awake at Work?
- Check if Your Username is Registered
- Windows 7 to Replace Existing Apps with Live Servi...
- Firefox 3.0.2 Release
- Singapore's Y-O-Y August CPI Rose 6.4%
- What is FPGA?
- My Opinions On Recent Credit Linked Securities Los...
- Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs Abandon Investment S...
- Structured Investment Products Are Complicated Bey...
- WTS Sony DSC-S730 Digital Camera
- Apple to replace iPhone 3G power adapters due to s...
- Credit Default Swaps - The Next Crisis?
- SEC Halts Short Selling of Financial Stocks to Pro...
- Google Increases Web Search Market Share Again
- Drivers VS Stubs
- Brad's Sure DBA Checklist
- Sergey Brin Launches Personal Blog
- Capital Adequacy Ratio of Insurance Companies Oper...
- DBS High Notes investors at risk
- AIA to Be Sold?
- Kraft Foods Replaces AIG in DOWJIA
- Straits Times Index (STI) Fluctuates
- Market jitters shake more Wall Street giants
- What is Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR)?
- Why AIG Just Cannot Fail?
- Lehman London Rents Insured by AIG Makes Magnify A...
- AIG has just hours to raise funds
- MAS Says Money With AIA Safe
- AIG Ratings Downgraded
- Temasek Holdings to Gain 1.5 Billion from Merrill ...
- Merrill Lynch Rose Sharply
- Lehman Brothers Free Fall
- AIG Shares Dived Very Sharply
- AIG Financial Difficulties Impact on AIA Policies
- Lehman Bros, Merrill Lynch, then AIG Down?
- Project Retreat from 15-17 Sep
- Gmail Added 3 New Reply Add-Ons
- Sell Contra Today
- Change or spoof a MAC address in Windows
- Human Factor: How Long is Too Long to Users?
- Golden Agri-Resources and Jardine Matheson Holding...
- Integration Between Google Reader and Blogger Who'...
- Blogger Who's Following You Feature Follows Everyo...
- Rule No. 1 for Doing Freelancing
- Why the bear is alive and well
- 3 New Features for Gmail
- Semiconductor Chartered Stock Battered
- Blogger Adds Who's Following You Feature
- Won Myself a Talking Pedometer
- Google Chrome Keyboard Shortcuts
- How to Block Ads In Google Chrome
- Happy 10th Year to Google
- Listed Companies Should Connect to Shareholders
- Next Week Pending Economic Data
- Google Chrome Tips
- Ringgit to Head 15-Month Low By End of 2008
- The Story Behind Google Chrome
- Google Chrome about: Pages
- Hitler Complaining About ERP and MRT
- How to Increase Google Chrome Omnibox Popup Sugges...
- Google Chrome Rocks
- Google Chrome Officially Launched
- Google Building Browser - Google Chrome
- ST Engineering's Electronics Arm to Build Half Hei...
- ▼ September (79)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)