Singapore consumers enjoy the benefits of a sound banking system. Banks and finance companies licensed in Singapore are supervised by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS). It is MAS’ aim to ensure the stability of the banking system in Singapore and to require financial institutions to have sound risk management systems and adequate internal controls.
However, MAS does not guarantee the soundness of individual financial institutions. Therefore, a Deposit Insurance Scheme has been set up to protect the core savings of small depositors in Singapore in the event a full bank or finance company fails.
What is deposit insurance?
"Deposit insurance protects depositors in the event a Scheme member fails. The Deposit Insurance Scheme compensates your savings up to a maximum of S$20,000."
How does the Deposit Insurance Scheme work?
"In the event a Scheme member that is covered under the scheme fails, the MAS will request the Singapore Deposit Insurance Corporation (SDIC) to step in. The SDIC will put its crisis plan into action. Affected depositors will be notified and arrangements will be made for depositors to be paid either by cheque or through accounts opened for them in another financial institution.
The SDIC will make the compensation from insurance premiums that Scheme members pay every year under the Deposit Insurance Scheme."
Singapore Deposit Insurance Corporation
List of Scheme Members
Frequently Asked Questions
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Ready for Download...
- High Cost of Living in Singapore
- Raffles Place Ghost Mystery
- NTUC Income Annual Bonus Cut but Up Special Bonus ...
- NTUC Income Annual Bonus Cut - Is It Fair?
- Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Out Soon
- Back from Genting Trip
- Deepavali to be on 27 Oct in Year 2008 Instead
- What is Metacognition?
- Who is Ray Ozzie?
- Ubuntu Cheat Sheet
- Singapore March 2008 CPI Up 6.7%
- MayBank iSAVvy Savings Account Interest Rates Revi...
- Shutdown Windows Using Built-In GUI
- Receiving Average 30 Emails Per Day
- SQL Server 2008 New Languages Causing SQL error 40...
- Directory Listing in ASP
- Three Possible Factors Leading to Escape of Mas Se...
- My Experts-Exchange Answered Questions Compiled as...
- PayPal to Block Browsers for Security
- Google Whois Search
- Sound Banking System in Singapore - Deposit Insura...
- What Warren Thinks and His Advice On Investing
- EE Member Satisfied With Help Provided
- How to Lock Your Computer Using Script?
- How Hedge Fund Managers Win Billion Dollar
- The Best and Worst Ways to Optimize Your Code
- Full Mobile Number Portability Finally Here in Sin...
- Potential Harm of Bisphenol-A (BPA) In Containers,...
- Upload and Convert PowerPoint Slides to Video
- How to Perform "No to All" When Copying Files
- Creating a Directory Browsing Page Using ASP
- Singapore to Diversify Pork Sources
- Test Regular Expressions Online with RegExr
- StreetDirectory Back on 14 Apr 2008
- How to Download YouTube Video?
- My Current Wallpaper
- AMD Loses Third Senior Executive in Less Than a Ye...
- Google Launching To-Do List Product?
- 8 Reasons the US May Be in Worse Trouble Than You ...
- East Asia: Foreign Reserves Minus Gold
- Microsoft Vista User Account Control (UAC) Designe...
- Adobe Launches Media Player
- What does S$NEER Stands for?
- The Toilet Paper Shortage of 1973
- Overcrowded Train Systems in Singapore
- Premium Bus Services in Singapore Premium?
- How to Bind Papers Without Staples or Clips
- Olympic Sabotage at London
- StreetDirectory.com Will Be Back Soon
- Jade Technologies Holdings Ltd Plunges 70.5% By Sp...
- VeriSign® Identity Protection Developer Test Drive...
- How to Determine Page File Size for 64-bit Windows...
- Five ERP Gantries To Begin Operations On 7 April
- Singaporeans Willing to Travel for Favourite Foods...
- Free High Quality Windows XP 3D Style Icons
- Five Best Instant Messengers by LifeHacker
- Phones or PDAs to Support Windows Mobile 6.1
- Street Directory Down for Days After Losing Appeal...
- Google CIO Douglas Merrill Resigns to Join EMI as ...
- ISO Approves Microsoft's OOXML
- Windows Mobile 6.1 Just Released
- Yahoo New Site Targets Women - Shine
- Microsoft SQL Get Number of Rows from All Tables
- Google Docs Goes Offline
- ▼ April (65)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)