Search This Blog

Google Analytics

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Overcrowded Train Systems in Singapore

I cannot imagine how Singaporeans commute if Singapore's 6.5 million population target is achieved.

Last Friday at around 7.30pm, I was at Raffles Place MRT interchange waiting for train towards Marina Bay direction. Marina Bay, one station away from Raffles Place, is the last station along the North-South line. My intention was to take the same train up north when it resume its journey in opposite direction so as to guarantee a seat. Usually only a small number of commuters alight at Marina Bay since it is the last station and there isn't much to entice people to visit except steamboat buffet dinner.

What I witnessed today was something to be worried about. There were quite a number of commuters actually waited for the same train at Raffles Place towards Marina Bay like myself. At Marina Bay, less than ten actually alighted and almost all remained in train. There were already commuters standing without a seat. I could not recall seeing such things happening a year ago.

I repeat again that I cannot imagine how Singaporeans commute if Singapore's 6.5 million population target is achieved. There is no way frequencies of trains to be increased during peak hours since I would say the current 2-3 minutes interval is the best transport operators can offer making sure trains are spaced apart at safe distance. An alternative could be improve and better integrate public transport networks.

1 comment:

  1. 6.5 million may be too much for us, even MM Lee said so.
    A holistic approach is needed to solve the transportation problem.
    That's why I'm glad that Jurong and Paya Lebar are slated for massive redevelopment.

    project_00

    ReplyDelete

Do provide your constructive comment. I appreciate that.

Popular Posts