This should make up for all the sustainable engineering they are doing!
Dubai in 1990 prior to the craziness
The same street in 2003
The madness. Dubai is said to currently have 15-25% of all the world's cranes.
The Dubai Waterfront. When completed it will become the largest waterfront development in the world.
All of this was built in the last 5 years, including that island that looks like a palm tree.
The Palm Islands in Dubai. New Dutch dredging technology was used to create these massive man made islands. They are the largest artificial islands in the world and can be seen from space. Three of these Palms will be made with the last one being the largest of them all.
Upon completion, the resort will have 2,000 villas, 40 luxury hotels, shopping centers, movie theaters, and many other facilities. It is expected to support a population of approximately 500,000 people. It is advertised as being visible from the moon.
The World Islands. 300 artificially created islands in the shape of the world. Each island will have an estimated cost of $25-30 million.
The Burj al-Arab hotel in Dubai. The worlds tallest hotel. Considered the only '7 star' hotel and the most luxurious hotel in the world. It stands on an artificial island in the sea.
Hydropolis, the world's first underwater hotel. Entirely built in Germany and then assembled in Dubai, it is scheduled to be completed by 2009 after many delays.
The Burj Dubai. Construction began in 2005 and is expected to be complete by 2008. At an estimated height of over 800 meters, it will easily be world's tallest building when finished. It will be almost 40% taller than the the current tallest building, the Taipei 101.
This is what downtown Dubai will look like around 2008-2009. More than 140 stories of the Burj Dubai have already been completed. It is already the worlds tallest man made structure and it is still not scheduled to be completed for at least another year.
The Al Burj. This will be the centerpiece of the Dubai Waterfront. Once completed it will take over the title of the tallest structure in the world from the Burj Dubai.
Recently it was announced that the final height of this tower will be 1200 meters. That would make it more than 30% taller than the Burj Dubai and three times as tall as the Empire State Building.
The Burj al Alam, or The World Tower. Upon completion it will rank as the world's highest hotel. It is expected to be finished by 2009. At 480 meters it will only be 28 meters shorter than the Taipei 101.
The Trump International Hotel & Tower, which will be the centerpiece of one of the palm islands, The Palm Jumeirah.
Dubailand. Currently, the largest amusement park collection in the world is Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, which is also the largest single-site employer in the United states with 58,000 employees. Dubailand will be twice the size.
Dubailand will be built on 3 billion square feet (107 miles^2) at an estimated $20 billion price tag. The site will include a purported 45 mega projects and 200 hundred other smaller projects.
Dubai Sports City. A huge collection of sports arenas located in Dubailand.
Currently, the Walt Disney World Resort is the #1 tourist destination in the world. Once fully completed, Dubailand will easily take over that title since it is expected to attract 200,000 visitors daily.
The Dubai Marina is an entirely man made development that will contain over 200 high rise buildings when finished. It will be home to some of the tallest residential structures in the world. The completed first phase of the project is shown. Most of the other high rise buildings will be finished by 2009-2010. The Dubai Mall will be the largest shopping mall in the world with over 9 million square feet of shopping and around 1000 stores. It will be completed in 2008.
Ski Dubai, which is already open, is the largest indoor skiing facility in the world. This is a rendered image of another future indoor skiing facility that is being planned. Some of the tallest buildings in the world, such as Ocean Heights and The Princess Tower, which will be the largest residential building in the world at over a 100 stories, will line the Dubai Marina. The UAE Spaceport would be the first spaceport in the world if construction ever gets under way. I'm not joking... Some other crazy .. The Dubai Metro system, once completed, will become the largest fully automated rail system in the world. The Dubai World Central International Airport will become the largest airport in size when it is completed. It will also eventually become the busiest airport in the world, based on passenger volume. There are more construction workers in Dubai than there are actual citizens.
- ► 2012 (318)
- ► 2011 (1050)
- ► 2010 (1303)
- ► 2009 (1010)
- 1 Year Since I Left RCL
- Google Syntax Highlighter
- Malicious Email Claiming to be From Singnet
- Generic Method to Pad Array with Values
- Google Involvement in Earth Hour 2008
- Earth Hour 2008
- NETS Revises Pricing for NETS CashCard
- Google Annual Letter Excerpt from Google Annual Re...
- New Google China
- Adobe Photoshop Express - Free Online Photo Sharin...
- Spybot Search and Destroy - Secure File Shredder
- How to Convert XHTML to SQL Server Table?
- Get Full File Access to Windows Mobile Devices wit...
- Possibility of Microsoft Office on iPhone?
- Interesting Never Rock or Tilt Sign
- Rules on off-in-lieu
- Speed Up Windows Shutdown
- Sync Google Calendar with Microsoft Outlook™ Calen...
- Ma Ying-jeou Elected to be New Taiwan President
- No More Pay By Touch Service by Citibank
- I'm helping to stop global warming
- Unbelievably Poor Service from Phillip Securities
- Googley Design Guidelines
- Discontinuation of the McDonald's Rewards Program
- Machine Check Error Occurs on Windows Server 2003 ...
- Windows Vista SP 1 Available Through Windows Updat...
- Check Website Availability - Network-Tools.com
- Windows Mobile to Display Flash Finally?
- JPMorgan Agrees to Buy Bear Stearns at Cheap Price...
- Check Website Availability
- Facebook to Launch Internal Instant Messaging Serv...
- Solving tesUpload Giving chmod Permission Problems...
- Watch YouTube Videos in Higher Quality
- MENA and EMEA Set to Be Next BRIC?
- US Economy Is Really In Bad Shape
- Dreaming of Running Windows Apps on Linux?
- Hulu Doing Catching Up with YouTube
- Dubai - From Desert to Wonder Lands In Less Than 2...
- Recover Lost Wireless Network with WirelessKeyView...
- Firefox 3 Beta 4 Available for Download
- Malaysia Bourse KLSE Plunged 9.5% on 10 Mar 08
- SMRT to be Fined $400K for 7-hour Train Disruption...
- My Predictions is Malaysia Bourse to Fall Sharply ...
- Malaysia Decides 2008 - Election Results
- Generate PDF from Oracle Databases Using PLPDF
- Standard Chartered's e$aver Accounts Interest Rate...
- Disappointed With Citibank's Poor Service
- It's Time to Get Back to Experts-Exchange
- US Daylight Saving Time Starts 9 Mar 08 Morning
- How to Create Strong Passwords?
- Internet Explorer 8 Beta is Out
- The World's Richest People
- Some Possible Faces of Mas Selamat
- Suan Lum Night Bazaar to Close Down By End of Apri...
- IRAS Auto-Inclusion Scheme
- 157 Best Free Software by PC Magazine
- RSS Feed for Gmail Unread Messages
- Poster on Escaped JI Leader, Mas Selamat, for Diss...
- Google Engineering Philosophy
- Should I Further My Studies?
- Personalize YouTube Homepage
- Bus Fare Stages Update Hit By Software Glitch - Le...
- Singapore 2010 Impression
- ▼ March (63)
- ► 2007 (479)
- ► 2006 (338)
- ► 2005 (232)
- ► 2004 (389)